GeniE - Genealogy in Essex : Waltham Abbey
Waltham Holy Cross, or Waltham AbbeyThe parish includes the hamlets of Holyfield, High Beach, and Upshire. The latter two became more significant in the 19th century and gained their own churches and eventually ecclesiastical parishes.
Waltham Holy Cross was a parish of that name.
It formed a local board of health in 1850.
It became an Urban District in 1894.
Part of the parish was transferred to Chingford in 1939.
It became part of the Epping Forest District of Essex in 1974.
Waltham Holy Cross was renamed Waltham Abbey on 1st April 1974 by section 13(6) of the The Local Authorities etc. (Miscellaneous Provision) (No. 2) Order 1974.
- 1841: HO107/341
- 1851: HO107/1704
- 1861: RG9/801
- 1871: RG10/1346
- 1881: RG11/1396
- 1891: RG12/1090
- 1901: RG13/1276
- 1911: RG14/7450 (classified as Middlesex on Ancestry)
A valuation of 1840 and tithe map of 1842 also give information.
- St Lawrence & Holy Cross Church has a grave yard, now closed. Some Burial Registers have been transcribed by WFFHS which are available to search on-line.
- A cemetery was opened on three acres of ground on the west side of Sewardstone Road in January 1857. By 1885 the burial board were looking to extend it westwards. In 1925 it was extended on the east side of the road to provide another four acres of space.
- Waltham Abbey Jewish Cemetery, opened in 1960, can be found in Skillet Hill (Honey Lane), and is run by the United Synagogue. There is a grave search feature on their web site.
- Paradise Row Baptist Church had a burial ground which was in use from around 1770 until closed by the Burial Act of 1854. The burial register 1845-1857, grave book and burial register 1836-1837 are in the Waltham Forest Archives [W85.211]. Death and burial registers 1770 to 1856 surrendered to the non-parochial registers commissions are in the National Archives under RG4/778, 1383, 2291, 2292, 4142
- The Quakers buried their dead behind their meeting house in Quaker Lane from 1672, but no records specific to that ground are known to exist. Records of births, marriages, and deaths can be found in RG6 under Waltham Abbey and Tottenham Monthly Meetings from 1658.
Waltham Holy Cross was in the Diocese of London until 1846, the Diocese of Rochester until 4th May 1877, the Diocese of St Albans until 23rd Jan 1914, and is now in Diocese of Chelmsford.
The Diocesan repository for most of the Chelmsford Diocese records is the Essex Record office.
The Roman Catholic diocese was the Diocese of Westminster but is now in the Diocese of Brentwood, since it was established on 20th July 1917. The church of St Thomas More and St Edward in Sewardstone Road, was opened in 1951.
British History Online: Churches: Waltham Abbey
on-line on their web site.
- St Lawrence & Holy Cross (parish Church)
- Holy Innocents, High Beach
- St Thomas, Upshire
Paradise Row Baptist Church began in 1729. The chapel was re-built in 1836
Fountain Place Baptist (Ebenezer) built 1868. The Strict Baptist Historical Society has some records of members this chapel.
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Sewardstone Road, was built in 1903 to replace one of 1824. This was on the Waltham Abbey and Hertford Methodist Circuit, NM10F in Hertfordshire Archives, D/NM 9/33 for marriages in the essex Record Office
Salvation Army hall, Sewardstone Street
Waltham Abbey Historical Society has a publication on the Baptist Church in Waltham Abbey.
July 1837 until June 1939: Enfield
July 1939 until March 1974: Epping
The parish then became known as Waltham Abbey
April 1974 onwards: Epping Forest
Waltham Forest Local Studies Library:
Kelly's Essex Directory 1870 - 1937 with gaps
White's Essex Directory 1848, 1863
Pigot's London & Provincial Commercial Directory 1832-34
Kelly's Essex directories may also be found in:
Valence Library: 1862, 1874, 1878, 1894, 1908 (MF), 1926, 1922, 1929 (& Herts), 1937
Romford Library: 1878, 1882, 1886, 1890, 1899, 1904 (& Norfk & Sufk), 1906, 1910, 1912, 1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1937
Ilford Central Library: 1855 (& Herts), 1866, 1878, 1882, 1886, 1890, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1899, 1902, 1906, 1908, 1912, 1914, 1917, 1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1937
Some of these directories are searchable in the Leicester University Historical Durectories Collection.
Guildhall Library: Bailey's British Directory, 1784 Directories for 1845, 1848, 1851, 1855, 1859, 1862-3, 1866, 1870, 1886, 1890, 1894-5, 1899, 1902, 1906, 1908, 1910, 1912, 1914, 1917, 1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1937.
Medical Officer of Health reports for Waltham Holy Cross can be
found in the Essex Record Office 1963, 1964-69, 1971-72, under document reference D/UWm Hm3.
MOH reports for 1898, 1925, and 1937-1972 are in the posession of the Wellcome Library in a closed stack.
The Royal Society of Medicine Library has MOH reports for 1955-1961 and 1963.
- Waltham Holy Cross Manor (or Waltham Manor)
- Sewardstone Manor
- Woodredon Manor
- Copped Hall Manor (part of)
- Essex maps on Rootsweb.
- Copies of Tithe Maps are available in the Essex Record Office
- National Library of Scotland maps
- British History
- Waltham Abbey & Cheshunt Weekly Telegraph available on British Newspaper Archive 1883-1896
- Essex Newsman available on British Newspaper Archive 1870-1950
- Essex Standard available on British Newspaper Archive 1831-1900
- Essex Herald available on British Newspaper Archive 1828-1899
Further details can be found on www.workhouses.org.uk
Essex Record Office and registers for 1918 and 1929 are on-line.
Waltham Holy Cross was in the:
Southern division of Essex 1833-1835
South Essex 1845-1849
Western Division of Essex 1870
Epping electoral division 1919-1926
Epping constituency 1927-1974
Epping Forest Constituency from 1974