Waltham Forest Family History Society
The Waltham Forest Family History Society was founded in 1978 to bring together and to encourage people with an interest in family history and genealogy. We are a small but friendly society that caters for all those with South West Essex ancestry who might live at a distance, and for those who live locally but whose ancestors came from elsewhere.
The Society has
- regular talks on family and local history
- workshops to discuss particular topics
- visits to archives and museums
- twice-yearly journal Roots in the Forest
- collection of magazines and local records
- projects to transcribe MIs and local records
Our February meeting will feature a talk by Mo Shanks on growing up in Wlathamstow. Mo has written three family history books and this talk will include a significant amount of social history and tell us about aspects of family life in the area not so long ago.
You can search our records on-line at records.wffhs.org.uk
January update: We have added marriages at Chingford 1918-1924 and 1829-1837, and plan to complete the first 100 years of the marriage registers covering Ss Peter & Paul, Chinford before the 175th anniversary of the church this summer.