Waltham Forest Family History Society
Waltham Forest Family History Society was founded in 1978 to bring together and to encourage people with an interest in family history and genealogy. We are a small but friendly society that caters for all those with South West Essex ancestry who might live at a distance, and for those who live locally but whose ancestors came from elsewhere.
The Society has
- regular talks on family and local history
- workshops to discuss particular topics
- visits to archives and museums
- twice-yearly journal Roots in the Forest
- collection of magazines and local records
- projects to transcribe MIs and local records
Before becoming part of the Metropolitan Police force area in 1840, Walthamstow had its own police force and lock-up at Vestry House paid for by subscription of residents. Names of subscribers, patrols, and wrong-do-ers occur in records.
February 14th's talk will be on Local Policing in Victorian Times by Bryn Elliott
Meetings start at 8pm. If you'd like more information, please contact us