Waltham Forest Family History Society
The Waltham Forest Family History Society was founded in 1978 to bring together and to encourage people with an interest in family history and genealogy. We are a small but friendly society that caters for all those with South West Essex ancestry who might live at a distance, and for those who live locally but whose ancestors came from elsewhere.
The Society has
- regular talks on family and local history
- workshops to discuss particular topics
- visits to archives and museums
- twice-yearly journal Roots in the Forest
- collection of magazines and local records
- projects to transcribe MIs and local records
- FMP discount
Our next main meeting on 13th September will consist of a talk by Mark Gorman talking about the fairs on Wanstead flats. At one time fairs were an important occasion for the hiring of servants, the buying and selling of goods or livestock, and having fun. This talk will explore a group of local fairs.
You can search our records on-line at records.wffhs.org.uk
June-July update: Transcriptions of the St John's Walthamstow 1845 - 1910, High Beech 1838 - 1911, and St John's Leytonstone 1915 - 1920 marriage registers have been added to the database.