GeniE - Genealogy in Essex : Chingford
ChingfordUntil 1894 the civil parish of Chingford was in the County of Essex
From 1894 to 1938 it formed the Chingford Urban District
From 1938 to March 1965 it formed the Municipal Borough of Chingford
From April 1965 is has been part of the London Borough of Waltham Forest
- 1841: HO107/341
- 1851: HO107/1770
- 1861: RG9/1063
- 1871: RG10/1639
- 1881: RG11/1736
- 1891: RG12/1361
- 1901: RG13/1637
- 1911: RG14/9770-74
- Monumental inscriptions (select Chingford Mount Cemetery)
- Cemetery Registers: Grave registers and day books. (specify Keyword: Chingford)
Chingford was in the Diocese of London until 1846, the Diocese of Rochester until 4th May 1877, the Diocese of St Albans until 23rd Jan 1914, and is now in Diocese of Chelmsford.
The Diocesan repository for most of the Chelmsford Diocese records is the Essex Record Office, however registers from the Waltham Forest Deanery are held at the Waltham Forest Archives.
The Roman Catholic diocese was the Diocese of Westminster but has been in the Diocese of Brentwood, since it was established on 20th July 1917.
The church of Our Lady of Grace & St Teresa of Avila was built in 1930.
Chingford Harch Weslyan chapel was built in 1862, and enlarged 1905.
Plymouth Bretheren chapel in Kings Head Hill, built 1880
Congregational chapel, South Chingford built 1901
Weslyan chapel in Station Road, built in 1905
Congregational chapel in Buxton Road, built 1910
British History Online: Churches: Chingford
Parish Registers site.
- St Peter and St Paul - This parish includes both the old church and the new church, the dedication having been transferred and the old church reverting to an earlier dedication to All Saints. St Francis church was also in this parish.
- St Anne
- St Edmund
July 1837 until March 1965: Epping
April 1965 onwards: Waltham Forest
Waltham Forest Local Studies Library:
Chingford & Sewardstone Directory 1907
Directory of Woodford, Buckhurst Hill, Chingford & Wanstead 1895?
Woodford, Buckhurst Hill, Loughton & Chingford directory 1909 - 1939
Kelly's Essex Directory 1870 - 1937 with gaps
White's Essex Directory 1848, 1863
Pigot's London & Provincial Commercial Directory 1832-34
Kelly's Essex directories may be found in:
Valence Library: 1862, 1874, 1878, 1894, 1908 (MF), 1926, 1922, 1929 (& Herts), 1937
Romford Library: 1878, 1882, 1886, 1890, 1899, 1904 (& Norfk & Sufk), 1906, 1910, 1912, 1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1937
Ilford Central Library: 1855 (& Herts), 1866, 1878, 1882, 1886, 1890, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1899, 1902, 1906, 1908, 1912, 1914, 1917, 1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1937
Some of these directories are searchable in the Leicester University Historical Durectories Collection.
From 1875 Chingford formed part of the Epping Rural Sanitary District
Medical Officer of Health reports for Chingford can be found in Waltham Forest Archives 1897 to 1964.
Waltham Forest Medical Officer of Health reports may also be found in Waltham Forest Archives 1965 to 1972.
There is patchy coverage on-line in the Wellcome Trust Library from 1897.
Walthamstow Sanitorium & Hospital for Infectios Diseases was opened in Hale End Road in 1901
- Essex maps on Rootsweb.
- Copies of Tithe Maps are available in the Essex Record Office
- National Library of Scotland maps
- British History
- John Roque's map of London & environs 1746 at WF Local Studies Library
- Chapman & Andre's map of Essex 1777 at WF Local Studies Library
- Local Ordnance survey maps 1860s to 1993 at WF Local Studies Library
- Essex Newsman available on British Newspaper Archive 1870-1950
- Essex Standard available on British Newspaper Archive 1831-1900
- Essex Herald available on British Newspaper Archive 1828-1899
- Waltham Forest Guardian from 1965
Registers of ElectorsRegisters up to 1970 are available to search at the Essex Record Office and registers for 1918 and 1929 are on-line. Registers from 1970 are held by the Waltham Forest Archives.
Southern division of Essex 1833-1835 South Essex 1845-1849 Chingford was in the Western Division of Essex 1870 Chingford was in the Epping electoral division 1919-1926. Epping constituency 1927-1970