GeniE - Genealogy in Essex : Chingford
The once sparsely populated parish of Chingford had three centres, Chingford Green, Chingford Hatch, and Chingford Mount. Although the coming of the railway in 1873 stimulated house building, it was not until the late 1920s that the population started to expand and much of Chingford as we now know it was built.
Until 1894 the civil parish of Chingford was in the County of Essex
From 1894 to 1938 it formed the Chingford Urban District
From 1938 to March 1965 it formed the Municipal Borough of Chingford
From April 1965 is has been part of the London Borough of Waltham Forest
Waltham Forest Archives holds a complete series of minutes for the former Borough/District Councils.
- Cemeteries & Graveyards
- Church History
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Gazetteers & Directories
- Poor Houses, Poor law etc.
- Registers of Electors
- 1841: HO107/341
- 1851: HO107/1770
- 1861: RG9/1063
- 1871: RG10/1639
- 1881: RG11/1736
- 1891: RG12/1361
- 1901: RG13/1637
- 1911: RG14/9770-74
- Monumental inscriptions (select Chingford Mount Cemetery)
- Cemetery Registers: Grave registers and day books. (specify Keyword: Chingford)
- A copy of the day book and register of burials is available in Waltham Forest Archives under C34.9 CM1 [R1-50]
- Various items including some purchase registers, cash books, right of burial certificates, and specifixation for renvation of the South Lodge in Hackney Arhives under D/B/ABN/3
Chingford was in the Diocese of London until 1846, the Diocese of Rochester until 4th May 1877, the Diocese of St Albans until 23rd Jan 1914, and is now in Diocese of Chelmsford.
The Diocesan repository for most of the Chelmsford Diocese records is the Essex Record Office, however registers from the Waltham Forest Deanery are held at the Waltham Forest Archives.
- All Saints: Chingford Old Church, by the Chingford Historical Society, pub 1958 & 1980
- Ss Peter & Paul: Chingford Parish Church, by the Chingford Historical Society, pub 1984
- St Edmund: A History of St Edmund's 1904 - 1979, by Andrew Setchfield, pub 2014
The Roman Catholic diocese was the Diocese of Westminster but has been in the Diocese of Brentwood, since it was established on 20th July 1917.
The church of Our Lady of Grace & St Teresa of Avila was built in 1930.
- Chingford Harch Weslyan chapel was built in 1862, and enlarged 1905. New building probably registered for marriages 23 Apr 1949
- Plymouth Bretheren chapel in Kings Head Hill, built 1880
- Congregational chapel, South Chingford built 1901
- Weslyan Methodist chapel in Station Road, built in 1905. Registered for marriages 17 Dec 1906. New building substituted 1 Dec 1927.
- Congregational chapel in Buxton Road, built 1910
- South Chingford Methodist Church, New Road. New building registered for marriages 18 Apr 1935. Minuest & Correspondence in Waltham forest Archives C85.14
- South Chingford Brotherhood (Emberson memorial Hall), registered for marriages 22 Mar 1954, no longer used 26 Jan 1987
British History Online: Churches: Chingford
- Chingford (St Peter and St Paul, All Saints, and St Francis churches)
July 1837 until March 1965: Epping
April 1965 onwards: Waltham Forest
Waltham Forest Local Studies Library:
Chingford & Sewardstone Directory 1907
Directory of Woodford, Buckhurst Hill, Chingford & Wanstead 1895?
Woodford, Buckhurst Hill, Loughton & Chingford directory 1909 - 1939
Kelly's Essex Directory 1870 - 1937 with gaps
White's Essex Directory 1848, 1863
Pigot's London & Provincial Commercial Directory 1832-34
Kelly's Essex directories may be found in:
Valence Library: 1862, 1874, 1878, 1894, 1908 (MF), 1926, 1922, 1929 (& Herts), 1937
Romford Library: 1878, 1882, 1886, 1890, 1899, 1904 (& Norfk & Sufk), 1906, 1910, 1912, 1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1937
Ilford Central Library: 1855 (& Herts), 1866, 1878, 1882, 1886, 1890, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1899, 1902, 1906, 1908, 1912, 1914, 1917, 1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1937
Some of these directories are searchable in the Leicester University Historical Durectories Collection.
From 1875 Chingford formed part of the Epping Rural Sanitary District
Medical Officer of Health reports for Chingford can be found in Waltham Forest Archives 1897 to 1964.
Waltham Forest Medical Officer of Health reports may also be found in Waltham Forest Archives 1965 to 1972.
There is patchy coverage on-line in the Wellcome Trust Library from 1897.
Walthamstow Sanitorium & Hospital for Infectios Diseases was opened in Hale End Road in 1901. Under the NHS it ceased to deal with just infectious diseases or solely for Walthamstow or Leyton residents. On 5th Jujne 1958 the new Outpatient department opened at Chingford Hospital at a cost of £24,000. X-rays and treatment were available here allowing people to get treatment without going outside the borough.
Chingford was a member of the Waltham Hundred
Chingford was late to urbanise compared to neighbouring Walthamstow which can make it more interesting to look at land ownership and the farms that existed beforehand. Two books published by the Chingford Historical Society may be of use:
- Chingford Field Names by A.J.Britton (1970)
- Chingford Farms by Morna Daniels (2004)
- Essex maps on Rootsweb.
- Copies of Tithe Maps are available in the Essex Record Office
- National Library of Scotland maps
- British History
- John Roque's map of London & environs 1746 at WF Local Studies Library
- Chapman & Andre's map of Essex 1777 at WF Local Studies Library
- Local Ordnance survey maps 1860s to 1993 at WF Local Studies Library
- Essex Newsman available on British Newspaper Archive 1870-1950
- Essex Standard available on British Newspaper Archive 1831-1900
- Essex Herald available on British Newspaper Archive 1828-1899
- Waltham Forest Guardian from 1965
Five alms houses wee erected in 1959 by voluntary subscription, and enlarged in 1887
Essex Record Office and registers for 1918 and 1929 are on-line. Registers from 1970 are held by the Waltham Forest Archives.
Southern division of Essex 1833-1835 South Essex 1845-1849 Chingford was in the Western Division of Essex 1870 Chingford was in the Epping electoral division 1919-1926. Epping constituency 1927-1970
- Fire Brigade: The Chingford Fire Brigade was formed in 1895 and was based on the corner of Bull Lane (Kings Road) and Pretoria Road. In 1924, the brigade motorised their horse drawn appliance. In 1929, a new fire station was opened next to the Town Hall (also opened that year) on The Ridgeway to allow for bigger appliances. The current building dates from 1957 and allowed the town hall annexe to be opoened.
- Gas: In 1902 the village was lighted by gas from the Chigwell, Loughton and Woodford Gas Co..
- Water: Water was suppllied by the East London Water Works Co. from the pumping station in Chingford Lane, erected in 1884.
- Sewerage: A sewage pumping station was opened at Mansfield Hill in 1894, belonging to the Epping Rural Sanitary Authority.
Trams arrive at Chingford mount in 1905, and are electric from the start. Before then there was no street transport.